One day I made these amazing oatmeal raisin cookies. Naturally, I wanted to make them again, so I headed on over to Allrecipes.com to find the recipe. It wasn’t until I started adding the chocolate chips that I realized I was making Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies instead of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. Go me. It’s been three years now, does that pregnant mommy brain stay forever? I’m running out of excuses. SO. I just added 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 cup of raisins instead of the 2 cups of chocolate chips called for in the recipe :)
- 1 cup shortening Note: Substituted 1 cup softened buttah.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar Note: Substituted Splenda Brown Sugar Blend.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rolled oats Note: Reviewers said to add a little more; I didn’t add more, but it wouldn’t have hurt? Maybe 1/2 cup more.
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips Note: Substituted 1 cup chocolate chips & 1 cup raisins.
- Added: 1/2 tsp Allspice & Cinnamon, 1 tsp Vanilla (will add 1tsp each of Allspice and Cinnamon next time).
Despite the fact that these weren’t *exactly* what I was looking for, I still ate mmm, oh, let’s say 27 of them, just to be safe. They were so good! I will definitely add some more of those warm spices next time. I add Allspice to most things it seems like, but it can be a little overpowering, so if you don’t like it, go easy. I cooked mine for about 15 minutes. Long for a cookie, but I like them a little crunchy :) Hubs (‘C’) likes them soft, so I try to make a little batch of crunchy ones for me and make the rest mush for him. Yuck. I used to love those Soft Batch cookies as a kid–no more. Give me something with a little crunch that needs dipped in milk. Yum. Yum. They went fast. Lasted only two days :)
And now, sadly, this house is cookie-less. After two weeks of Samoas, Lemon Chalets, Thin Mints, Lemonades, and Oatmeal Choc/Raisin Cookies, they’re all gone. But! Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes are on deck for next week… :)