‘Tis the season for soups, no? I love this soup as well and although it it’s not as creamy and rich as the Cheeseburger Soup, it makes up for it in easy of preparation. This is another gem from Allrecipes. I love that website!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer Note: Omitted.
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained Note: I use one; C is not a fan of tomatoes
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
This is so easy to make it’s ridiculous. Put 1lb of chicken breasts in the fridge the night before you plan to make this so that the chicken is thawed enough to remove the paper/padding stuff attached to the bottom of it in the package. Sometimes (most of the time) I forget to do this and will put some hot water in the sink with the chicken and let it thaw in there for about 30 minutes, just until I can get that paper stuff off (does anyone know the point of this?). Put the chicken in the crock pot. I season it with salt, pepper and garlic powder on top of the taco seasoning. Put the drained corn and beans in the pot, along with the rest of the ingredients. I substitute 12oz of chicken broth (made with bouillon cubes ;)) for the beer. Turn the crock pot on high, go do whatever you need to do for about 6 or 7 hours, come home and dinner is served! If you do not not start out with frozen chicken, put the crock pot on low instead of high. The chicken is tender and flavorful. The beans and corn are hearty and healthy. The whole thing is just easy and wonderful!